Saturday, August 2, 2008

New Man Down - And Out!!

My Bike Karma has run out :(

Since the snow has melted we've been biking non stop getting ready for BC Bike race and put on lots of kilometers. Throughout all this time...no injuries. Then we biked the BC Bike race, 500km of biking filled with treacherous BC singletrack.....no injuries, not even a flat (except for very sore worn out ass and whole wack of tired).

Last week while in Kanata Lakes I got a flat and my seat busted (thank GOD that didn't happen during the race), that wasn't that bad but it was foreshadowing my bike karma might be running out.

So today while going a simple ride on O'Brien in Gatineau it started to rain on our way back...not that big an issue (it was actually very refreshing). However while crossing a simple 4 foot wide bridge everything went wrong. I lifted my front tire to get on the bridge and had a little slippage of my back tire so when I got on the bridge wasn't pointing all the straight...no worries, I was a little tight to the right side of the bridge but nothing to worry about. I braked and went to put my right foot down just to make sure I didn't do anything stupid.....but when I did stupidity happened. Hard soled bike shoes on a wet wood bridge can sometime slip...and it did. My right foot slipped off the bridge and every thing else followed.

The drop was about 3 feet but from the top of my bike it's more like 5 or so into a swampy rocky stream. Due to me experience falling (both in mtb and snowboarding) I'm usually pretty good at it. I almost never put my wrists out since I know they will snap. So I brought my arms to make a cage around my head and save my face, however this caused the entire force of my fall to be taken by my elbow on a sharp rock. It cut deep! lots of blood. Luckily I had some good friends to help me up from under the bridge and patch me up. They also were nice enough to join me in a 4km walk back to the cars dragging my bike along for me and drove me to the hospital (Thanks guys!!).

The rest of the day was spent in the hospital. The Doctor was very impressed with the depth and amount of dirt in my wound. It took almost an hour to clean all the dirt out of. After that came the stitches, since the wound was so deep they had to do 2 layers of stitches one for the skin and the other for all the stuff I tore underneath that.

And then after all this...just to top it off... I got a tetanus shot.

Anyways...it sucks and my arm hurts...a lot.

If anyone wants to go for a pleasant walk in the next week or so instead of biking...I'm in.

Jason

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

New Man Down,
That trail seems to have taken its toll on you. I seem to remember a previous incident that resulted in stitches (before O'Brien was 'graveled'). Maybe you should stick to Kanata Lakes ;-)

heal quick. kt

Jason Clarke said...

It's true...O'Brien owns me. It's the only trail that I ever had to get stiches from (twice now). Moab, Tucson, BC, Kanata Lakes, Fortune......and O'Brien is the one that has my number, strange.

I think the trail is cursed.

the original big ring said...

Pussy. A real man, a real rider, would have stitched himself up right there on the trail, gottena back up and started riding. And if they were real buddies, they would have left you there on your own to sort your shit out! Pussy.

Seriously . . . ouch!

Jason Clarke said...

I tried to stich myself up from what I'd learn't watching survivor man but I couldn't find a porcupine quil for a needle and some fiber from an aloe plant to use as stiching. So I feel back on my good old plan B.....go into the fetal position and cry for my mommy.

Today, I found out my arm is infected. This sucks!

Broke But Still Drinking said...

Do you still drink while training and would you accept free beer from a stranger?